Work in the Faroe Islands

As a non-nordic citizen, you must, in general, have a permit in order to work in the Faroe Islands. For Nordic citizens, you do not need a permit to live or work in the Faroes. EU citizens need a permit for work and residence. Non-Nordic and non-EU citizens may or may not need a visa as tourists but will need a permit for work or residence. If you need more details, any clarifications or have specific questions about immigration, please visit the Faroe Islands section on the Danish Immigration Office’s website or the Faroese Immigration Office.

In the Faroe Islands almost every adult is in work. Most are employed in the public service sector (health and social work) or in private businesses that are related to the fishing industry, that is by far the most important source of income for the national economy – usually fish products account for over 95 per cent of Faroese exports. Many Faroese are also self-employed, with their own shop, restaurant or other small businesses, such as smaller fishing vessels.

The workforce is organised in unions and employers are organised in federations. These parties negotiate agreements that set out the conditions for employment and wages – on behalf of workers and employers. Additionally, national legislation governing minimum wages for the fishermen (minstaløn), the duration of
the working week, holiday entitlements, parental leave, unemployment benefits etc. These collective bargaining
agreements between unions and the employers’ federations apply to the whole Faroese labour market, but, at the
same time, any employee can negotiate additional individual benefits with their employer.

For more detailed information about working in the Faroe Islands, please check our handbook New to the Faroe Islands