Moving to the Faroe Islands

Moving to the Faroe Islands
To move to the Faroe Islands with the intention of living and/ or working, you must either have a family reunification or a work permit. Provided you have been granted a permit, you must register at the local municipality where you will live - follow the instructions stated in the letter from the Danish Immigration Services.

Once you are granted a permit to reside in the Faroe Islands and you have registered at your local municipality, you will be issued a personal identification number known as a p-tal. You will be automatically registered in the National Register, Landsfólkayvirlitið, which is essential for both tax and social security. Once you have a p-tal, you will be able
to open a bank account and subscribe to phone- and internet services.

Municipal Services

Each municipality offers a range of services such as elderly care, school transport, funeral services, fire department, water and sanitation. Please check the available services with your municipality.

For more information about immigration, please check Útlendingastovan.

For more detailed information about Moving to the Faroe Islands, please check our handbook New to the Faroe Islands